At the Australian Boys Choir we provide exceptional music education and training to support talented young singers to grow, learn and shine. We provide boys with the tools and opportunities to develop their musical and life skills. We empower boys to find their voices and encourage them to have a go.Our people come from a wide variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds. We embrace diversity in its many forms and we give everyone a chance.
We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and Traditional Custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.
We work with families to meet our students’ needs, and work together to help nurture growth. We believe in the strength of the individual and the music we make helps inspire us all to strive for excellence. Above all, we are committed to being inclusive, welcoming and supportive of all members of the Australian Boys Choir community.
Where will choral music take you?
LATEST NEWS & REVIEWS
- Click the image above to hear from Naomi Heyden as she shares a bit about her own journey with the Choir from tutor, to teacher, to parent, and our Director of Training Choirs! Thank you for considering donating via the Choir's Give Now page this End-of-Year.
- Applications are now open for the position of Administrative Assistant at the Australian Boys Choral Institute. Click here for application information and to read the position description.
- We are thrilled to announce the expansion of the Choir's operations into the Western Suburbs of Melbourne from 2023.
Additional non-auditioned Early Learners classes at a highly affordable price-point will take place on Mondays, and are now open to all boys and girls from age 4 until age 7. Sessions in Hawthorn will also continue on Wednesdays. Enrolments for 2023 & 2024 are now open.
For years Austinato Magazine has amplified the voices of the Australian Boys Choir and its supporters. It is dedicated to news, features, and insights into the Choir's performances, training program, and current affairs impacting the ABCI community. Passionate, engaging, and informative, Austinato is the place to find answers to the question: where might choral music take you?
The Australian Boys Choir takes the best aspects of music, artistic endeavour, talent, inspiration, and education to create a unique programme of musical training for boys and young men. Through 84 years of musical excellence, we have strived to achieve our mission.
- The recent Kelly Gang and The Vocal Consort tour to Brisbane to attend the Pemulwuy Festival was a great success. It provided all those who went with a valuable musical experience and an enormous amount of fun along the way.
- Southern Cross Station on Saturday 19th August 2023 was the beginning of the journey. The Choir, as well as some TVC members, boarded the 10:10am train to Bendigo en route to the Sacred Heart Cathedral to perform Sing Joyfully, the third concert of the Australian Boys Choral Institute 2023 season.
PAST TOURS, PHOTOS AND STORIES
- It was very exciting to re-start our touring program in July 2023 with singers from The Kelly Gang and The Vocal Consort travelling to Brisbane to participate the Pemulwuy National Male Voice Festival. Being part of a group of 400 singers working together was a powerful experience for all involved. Click here to read and see more from Brisbane.
- We were excited to launch our 2023 concert season at Federation Square with the Yarra River as a backdrop. Headlined by The Vocal Consort, this performance also featured the Australian Boys Choir Performing Squad and members of the Kelly Gang and our Tyro, Junior Singer and Cambiata Training Groups in some terrific massed repertoire. Click here to watch video highlights.
BEHIND THE DECADES
- Geoff Kilby was the first chorister on the Australian Boys Choir ledger. Just like all of the choir’s founding members, he was a student at Toorak Central School, where the choir’s founder, VJ Kelly, was a school master. Their first rehearsal was held on Friday October 20, 1939.